Sunday 27 September 2015

Sep 27th Catton Park

Puffball
I have returned to Catton Park this morning for another crack in my search for an earthstar. Unfortunately, it was another failed attempt and I am wondering if they exist here at all. I won't give up though, I may return for a third search next week.

It was actually a busy day in the park today as it turned out to be some kind of special event going on with tents, stalls and other attractions covering the most of the field. I kept my search in the woods away from it all and dispite not finding an earthstar, I did find some other fungi. I found a few new toadstools that I didn't see last week. There were puffballs, bonnets, yellow stagshorns, parasols and a few others that I still haven't identified yet. If someone is reading this and are experts on fungi, let me know what they are, as I am not an expert.

An undeveloped Shaggy Parasol
Shaggy Parasols
Rosy Bonnet (Possibly)
Clouded Funnel
Yellow Stagshorn
Pearly Parachute (possibly)
More Rosy Bonnets (possibly)
Some tiny bonnet-like fungi (I think)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sean. Whilst not an expert on fungi, I have an interest and am familiar with many of the commoner species. I can't put names to the two pale ones growing on wood, but of the others:
    I think the Parasols are Shaggy Parasol (Chlorophyllum rhacodes). The easiest way to separate these two similar species is to look at the base of the stem. Parasol has a rough "snakeskin" type pattern, whilst Shaggy Parasol doesn't, and I can't see the pattern on your specimens.
    The pink ones will either be Rosy Bonnet (Mycena rosea) or faded Lilac Bonnet (Mycena pura) - sometimes these are considered to be the same species anyway.
    The thick ones are Clouded Funnel (Clitocybe nebularis), which are related to the Blewits.
    The whitish ones growing on the branch look a bit like Pearly Parachute, but this normally grows on leaf litter rather than wood. I'm not sure about the small brownish ones growing from the wood.
    Regards,
    James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much James. Fungi are so hard with so many species, it will take me some time to remember at least the common species.

      Delete