Tuesday 10 October 2017

Oct 10th Mousehold Heath


Fungi Foray at Mousehold Heath
This afternoon, I joined the annual fungi foray at Mousehold Heath led by Tony Leech. A large group of fungi fans have also arrived for this event today, including a few familiar faces. We slowly (very slowly) made our way around parts of Mousehold, searching, collecting and bringing back the various fungal structures to Tony to hear his expert knowledge on each one as best as he could. Though, my memory on the species names (in either English or scientific) will more than likely be forgotten by the time I write this, I will only name the ones that I do know and leave the rest to any expert reading this.

Tony Leech gets hands on with identifying fungi

I find fungi a tough subject to really get into as they look very similar to one another and there are so many species to go through. However, I still find them fascinating, not only scientifically, but also in a more aesthetical way. The way they sprout out of the ground or tree is magical. Some appear in clusters like miniature cities in assorted colours, shapes and sizes. Hidden amongst almost every square metre of blade of grass or leaf litter, a stem pokes out with a varied shaped cap on top. Taking a close look beneath is a beautiful view of textures and patterns in the form of pores and gills. Some bleed 'milk' when cut, others smell in a particular way and, if your willing enough, a few can even reveal their identity through taste. Nearly all of my senses are being used to help me enjoy fungi that little bit more.
Puffball
Honey Fungus
Yellow Spindles
Blusher


Sulphurtuft, Jelly Rot and Puffball
Turkeytail
Brown Rollrim
Tawny Funnel
Ochre Brittlegill
Lilac Bonnet

Oyster?
Plums and Custard
Some kind of Milkcap
Milkcap bleeding 'milk'
Candlesnuff
Birch Polypore (I think)


Stinkhorn



Amethyst Deceiver
Gills of Amethyst Deceiver with centipede
Porcelain Fungus

Smokey Bracket


Sulphurtuft

Robin
Fly Agaric
I may not be that much closer to gaining the same level of knowledge on fungi like Tony does or remember any of the names that he taught me today, but who cares! I guess viewing every form of fungal organism as work of art is more rewarding to me. And out of all the toadstools, mushrooms, brackets or any other fungal related structure I can think of, you just can't beat the bright and colourful ones. I just can't seem to get enough of the fairy tale image of the fly agaric. I searched for these white spotted, vibrant red toadstools the most as they happen to be a personal favourite of mine. I managed to find at least 4 of them, each better looking than the other the more I searched. Even though I have seen many before, they are still a great highlight for me during these forages.

No comments:

Post a Comment