Wednesday 23 May 2018

May 23rd Strumpshaw Fen

The Meadow Trail
It was chilly start at Strumpshaw this morning, not the best conditions for those seeking swallowtails. However, it did brighten up as the morning went on. That didn't mean much to me though, as I was unlucky this time round. Oh well! Maybe next week. At least the Norfolk hawkers didn't let me down. I saw one of these patrolling the sand cliff area instead of the ditches of the Meadow Trail. Speaking of which, the Meadow Trail is now open and while it is still pretty early for the displays of orchids, I did see a handful out in bloom as well as bog bean, marsh valerian and other wildflowers emerging through the vast blades of grass. The ditches took until the warmth of the afternoon to really get going in dragonfly life with four-spot chasers and hairy dragonflies claiming their territories along these narrow stretches of water.
Norfolk Hawker
Four-spot Chaser
Azure Damselfly
Bog Bean

Southern Marsh x Early Marsh Orchid hybrid?




Yellow Flag Iris
Ragged Robin
Marsh Valerian








Cotton Grass
Common Twayblade

Common Wasp
Hoverfly Myathropa florea?
Sawfly?
Brimstone
Cuckoo
As I mentioned, it was pretty chilly as I arrived this morning due to an overcast sky and a cold wind blowing. I endured it for at least an hour inside the Fen Hide before heading back to start my shift at 9:30am. A male cuckoo was showing nicely (though slightly distant for my camera) atop of some short bushes from the right side of the hide. He called out his famous moniker loud and proud for any nearby females or rival males who could hear him. I have yet to photograph a female cuckoo. Unfortunately, he moved on before any potential mate to show up.
Chinese Water Deer
Also today; I saw a Chinese water deer appear from the edge of the reed beds in front of Fen Hide, I had a couple of hobby sightings, a kingfisher hover around the broad by Reception Hide for a bit and there many swifts, house martins and swallows on the wing. I was a bit disappointed not to see a swallowtail today, but as there were peacocks, orange-tips and brimstones emerging as the day warmed, I bet that one showed up this afternoon as I was heading for home.

Grey Heron
Common Tern

No comments:

Post a Comment