Wednesday 9 May 2018

May 9th Strumpshaw Fen

Willow Warbler
I'm starting to feel a little burnt out from all the walking and wildlife watching that I've been doing these past three days and today, here I am back at Strumpshaw with a bit of an aching back and sore feet after the walk from Brundall train station. At least it is another nice day, though it seems slightly quieter than it was during my dawn chorus walk on Sunday. The cuckoos were calling from the trees along the opposite side of the river and a bittern was booming some distance away. Warblers, such as whitethroats, sedge, reed, willow and Cetti's, were singing their hearts out within every vegetation I pass by. A grasshopper warbler was reeling from deep within one bush at the river end of Sandy Wall. Despite thoroughly scanning the bush for it, it remained hidden and I did not see it. My searching attracted attention and soon a crowd gathered around me in curiosity.
Cuckoo

                      (The video above is of the reeling song of the Grasshopper Warbler)

Chinese Water Deer
Greylags
Gadwall
Mute Swan
Orange-tip
All this glorious sunshine has brought the insects out in force, especially butterflies. Orange-tips, green-veined whites, peacocks and brimstones were practically everywhere, fluttering over the reserve adorned in their various bright wonderful colours. It was great to see that the damselflies have finally emerged, too, since they've been a bit late on the scene this year due to the extended winter we've been having. Though, I've only seen large red and blue-tailed damselflies this morning, I have heard that some of the other species have also been seen today as well as a few of the early dragonfly species.

Peacock
Green-veined White
Blue-tailed Damselfly
Common Lizard
Red Campion
Orb Web Spider (Araneus diadematus?)
Coot with chicks
The birds weren't very photogenic today at Reception Hide. They were either too distant, too fast or distorted by heat haze. Only the coot family, a greylag family (with just one gosling left) and a heron were happy to stay long enough and close enough for a few photos. For the birds that I consider as highlights of my day, I was resorted to using my binoculars to see them. A kingfisher made a very brief stop over by the reedy islands, a couple of seconds and it was gone. Looking up and the sky above was a very busy airspace for raptors with several hobbies, marsh harriers, a sparrowhawk and a kestrel flying so high that they were just distant shapes whizzing and soaring around the clouds and the blue space surrounding them. It feels like summer is here at last. Swallowtail season is just around the corner!
Greylag with gosling
Marsh Harrier
Grey Heron

No comments:

Post a Comment