Thursday 14 June 2018

Caterpillar Diaries (Part 9)

Getting big and relentlessly hungry!
Look how big they've gotten! They are now measuring around 5-6cm and have an enormous appetite to match. A fresh supply of leaves are completely eaten to nothing by the next day. It is becoming quite the chore to go out and search for bramble branches everyday and to replace the old ones with new, which involves temporarily moving the caterpillars to a box while cleaning out their box. In short, it is quite a time consuming chore to do every morning. But as soon as I place them back into their clean and restocked box, it doesn't take them long to get back into the habit of gorging themselves. The result with all this eating is frass, lots and lots of frass, which are getting bigger along with the caterpillars. By the next day, a large pile of this caterpillar poop fills the bottom of the box. Caterpillars are nothing more than eating and pooping machines!

I believe that it is only a matter of time until their next (possibly last) skin shed. It could happen tomorrow or during the weekend. However, I will be leaving for a holiday in London next week and I'm leaving them in the care of a friend of mine while I'm away, so I may not get to see this latest skin change myself. Let's hope they get to shed before I go.


No comments:

Post a Comment