Friday 27 July 2018

July 27th Cley

View from East Bank today
The heat has been unbearable this week, especially yesterday. Today seems to be going the same way. However, instead of stewing in my own sweat at home, Mum took me out to Cley for the morning. The faint sea breeze there made walking around just that bit tolerable. We stopped for a quick walk along the East Bank, but my growing new phobia of horseflies made me abandon the walk and run back to the safety of the car!

Pied Wagtail on boardwalk leading to the main hides
Pat's Pool
We made the short ride to the main car park by the visitor centre and sprayed my bare legs and arms with insect repellent that we had just remembered was in my bag. Feeling more protected against those biting menaces, we made our way to the hides. Inside, a refreshing cool draft was extremely welcoming. In fact, I wished I never had to leave them. Outside on the pools, the shallow water attracted many waders and gulls. There were the usual avocets, black-tailed godwits, ruff, shelducks, black-headed gulls, lesser black-backed gulls, lapwings, 2 oystercatchers, redshanks, curlews and little egrets. A kestrel hovered above the bank dividing Whitewell and Simmond's scrapes at one point and I saw four golden plovers at the far side of these two scrapes, two on each respectfully. My main highlights though were 2 or 3 green sandpipers, a Mediterranean and a common gull. Not a bad haul for a short couple of hours.
Green Sandpiper
Mediterranean Gull 
Common Gull
Curlew
Lapwing
Redshank
Ruff
Shelduck
Black-headed Gull
Black-tailed Godwits
Avocet
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Woodpigeon

No comments:

Post a Comment