Thursday 14 March 2019

March 14th The Brecks and Lynford Arboretum

Brown Hares
The strong winds continued as Dad took me out to the Brecks today. It wasn't looking like it was going to be a great day as we drove through torrential rain on our journey. Thankfully, the rain stopped when we reached our first destination; a couple of fields bordered with pine trees outside Cockley Cley. However, the winds were still persistent and was battering us hard. We were here for goshawks, but we ended up with a red kite and being captivated by a bunch of mad March hares. This large group of hares were mostly males trying to impress one female. She's the one who calls the shots, however, and tests her suiters with a 'kiss chase' and if one gets too close, she gives them a bop on the head. Only the one who is the most persistent wins her affection. I tried my best getting some photos, but they were a bit distant and the wind was a real pain. So these were the best I could get.
Common Crossbill preening
After half an hour, we surrendered to the wind and moved on to Lynford Arboretum. It is that time of year to see the hawfinches again. Unfortunately, despite several searches in the usual favourite spots, we failed to see any this time round. However, there was another species of bird here that has been attracting just as much attention as the hawfinches lately. Crossbills. I was told that the best spot was by the bridge by the river where they've been regularly seen coming down for a drink. We waited on the bridge, watching the marsh tits and other common birds feeding on the seed left out for them on post, when suddenly I heard a chorus of 'chub chub' behind me. They had arrived, but only one stayed, perching in a tree where wind and branches obscured my shot. I was only able to get one photo of it preening with its iconic bill hidden from view!
Marsh Tit
Dunnock and Chaffinches
Chaffinches
Great Tit
Robin
Reed Bunting
Marsh Marigold
Great Spotted Woodpecker
While I was busy searching for hawfinches and crossbills, there were plenty of other great birds on offer. Bramblings and siskins were practically everywhere and in large numbers, while a flock of yellowhammers were stealing food from the local chickens. I also saw treecreepers, a nuthatch, a great spotted woodpecker, chaffinches, long-tailed, great, blue, coal and marsh tits and displaying buzzards.


Treecreeper
Brambling
Siskin
Yellowhammer
Yellowhammers feeding from a chicken feeding bowl
Common Crossbill
I wasn't going to give up on the crossbills that easily. After a break for lunch, we tried again. The weather had improved remarkably with sunshine and a drop in the wind. We made a short walk to the other bridge further down the river before returning to the first bridge. While we were waiting for them to show, they caught us by surprise as Dad spotted one that was just perched right in front of us in a tree without us noticing of its arrival. Then I noticed a second one a few branches left of it. We were watching them for several minutes without either of us or the birds moving until a group of men with cameras showed up. The crossbills were mobile now, but remained close by to where we can still see them. It was at this point that I counted at least 4 of them in the branches above us.


These were common crossbills. Just like the parrot crossbills that I saw last winter, the males are red and the females are greenish yellow, but are slightly smaller with less bulkier bills than their parrot cousins. Their crossed bills are ideal for prizing open pine cones to extract the cornels inside. I've only seen common crossbills once before, but I didn't have my bridge camera back then, so this was my first time getting decent photos of them. I was pretty happy seeing these birds. It was like a late birthday present that was worth waiting for.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely Crossbill shots, Sean...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Though did make things easy for me by posing so close.

      Delete