Sunday 14 July 2019

July 14th Holkham Pines

I believe I have finally met my match this week. I have now been to Holkham Pines twice this week looking for my latest orchid target; the creeping ladies-tresses. This is a small orchid with tiny hairy white flowers. The main bulk of their population is in Scotland as well as a few locations in north England. It makes the small population here in Norfolk very unique and mysterious. How did they get there and why are they here? These are questions that are still puzzling naturalists. For me though, the main question is where are they now?

I had been given directions to their whereabouts here at Holkham, however, I still couldn't find them. On my first attempt on Monday, we searched the edge of the pines and a section of moss by the dunes but left without finding anything. Today, I returned with Dad for another try. This time we were more thorough along the entire length of the dunes. Sadly, the result was the same, but we did find plenty of orchids that I missed on my first visit. In a small patch of tall grass, it was packed full of marsh helleborines and southern marsh orchids. Making our way back following the dunes, we found lots of pyramidal orchids. We also came across several toads and the odd dark green fritillary. Some great wildlife, but not what I had came to see.

Where are these creeping ladies-tresses? If anyone knows and wants to join forces to help find them, let me know. For now, I have to call defeat. This is the one that got away.

 

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I've just come across your wonderful blog. I saw these orchids yesterday with no problem (although they are very small!) thanks to a tip off. Could I send you the details via email or another private way to make sure the exact position is not publicised online as they are prone to disturbance accidentally or deliberately due to their size.

    Thanks,
    Louis

    ReplyDelete