Wednesday 2 October 2019

Oct 2nd Strumpshaw Fen

Back at the start of this year, I set myself on two challenges. One was to find as many of the 23 species of orchid found in Norfolk. I did pretty well, finding 19 of the 23. The other challenge was to find a job. I can finally tell you that I have now achieved this goal. I am now a postal sorter for the Royal Mail (sort of). So, if you want to know why I haven't been posting as much as I used to, this is why. I've only recently completed my induction and waiting for my first shift to occur. At least I had another shift at Strumpshaw to enjoy whilst I wait.

Ivy Bee
It had been raining heavily all day yesterday and it spilt over to this morning as I made my way to Strumpshaw. However, it was more of a light drizzle than a heavy deluge as it was throughout last night, and before I could label today as another Wet Wednesday, it didn't amount to too much and the rest of the morning was largely pleasant though a bit cold and blustery. All the work that was being done along the Sandy Wall was now completed and the path was fully open once again. I made my way to Fen Hide without needing to detour through the boggy meadow trail and I was spotting four snipe trying to hide in the short reed stubble in front of the hide while stonechats were making it hard to not notice them flit and call in the taller reeds behind them. Rainbows were appearing quite frequently during my time inside the hide and I was trying my best to capture that perfect shot of geese and other birds flying through them, only for me to fail in each attempt. I was just not quick enough!


Over at Reception Hide, it was a relatively quiet shift and the chill in the wind blowing into the hide made it a rather cold one, too. There were no otters this week, but the kingfisher turned up and there was a quick flash of a couple of bearded tits and the marsh harriers were showing well, soaring close to the hide and there was a bit of talon grappling between two females at one point. Outside, the ivy covering the trees were buzzing with insect activity as ivy bees were pollenating with their flowers.


Osprey
Then, while I was eating my lunch, my colleague shouted one word to get everyone on full alert. "Osprey!" I had thought that they had now all left for Africa by now, but here, flying right above the broad, was an osprey! This turned out to become the best encounter with an osprey I have ever had. And even when it had us all believe that it was leaving us after several minutes hovering and soaring around the reserve with the closest of views I've had from Reception Hide since 2012, it came back for a second hunting session and this time, it caught something! After making its successful catch, it flew to a dead tree behind the row of trees on my right to eat it. The osprey made short work of the fish and after a couple of minutes, it was gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment