Wednesday 27 November 2019

Nov 27th Strumpshaw Fen

The Wet Wednesdays are back! It has actually been a few weeks since it rained on a Wednesday. It has rained on every other day, but not a Wednesday, but not this week. I had to get a lift in to Strumpshaw this morning as the weather was that bad. I only had time to do the feeders before my shift began and thankfully, the ever hungry pheasant was waiting for me yet again.

Otter
For the most part, I was mainly watching the many mallards and the handful of gadwall float around the broad with the rain lashing down, while marsh harriers and buzzards attempt to continue their predatory role, though were mostly left to perch somewhere, hoping the rain to stop sometime soon. It was a rather dark and miserable scene. But then, the ducks began to rush away from the left side of the broad and an otter appeared! Suddenly, the scene in front of me came to life! The otter was busy hunting for at least 15-20 minutes and at the same time, a male sparrowhawk also arrived, perching on one of the dead trees to my left. The hide, which was virtually empty of visitors before the otter turned up, was now packed, as if the otter had summoned them. Eventually, the sparrowhawk and the otter disappeared and the hide emptied along with them. I was left with the ducks and rain once more.
Sparrowhawk

No comments:

Post a Comment