Monday 30 December 2019

My Bird Challenge 2020

A couple of months ago, I wondered how many birds I've photographed throughout the years. I decided to print them out and stick them into a book, like a sticker album but with my own photos. The result was around 240 odd species. My camera is just a bridge camera and to get 240+ species from a bridge camera is quite impressive. However, there are still many empty spaces left. Though most of these are rare migrants, there are still enough birds on the list that I can potentially look for and photograph in the UK that might surprise some of you. So here's the list...

Scaup
Red-breasted Merganser
Black-throated Diver
Great Northern Diver
Slavonian Grebe
Little Auk
Iceland Gull
Black Tern
Arctic Skua
Pomarine Skua
Great Skua
Stone-curlew
Dotterel
Red-necked Phalarope
Woodcock (in the day)
Spotted Crake
Quail
Tawny Owl (in the day)
Long-eared Owl
Nightjar (in the day)
Rough-legged Buzzard
Hen Harrier
Montagu's Harrier
Goshawk
Merlin
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
Nightingale
Ring Ouzel
Savi's Warbler
Wood Warbler
Yellow-browed Warbler
Pied Flycatcher
Great Grey Shrike
Willow Tit
Raven
Tree pipit

As you can see, its quite a list of birds that I haven't photographed yet and I haven't even included any of the much scarcer migrants or birds that are only located to other parts of the UK many miles from Norfolk. Now some of them I have seen in the past, but eluded my camera and there are a few that I have photographed but the photos were a bit rubbish to add to my book. Also note that I'm not expecting to photograph them all in one year, this list is more of a wish list that I can try and fulfil beyond 2020. In fact, I'll be happy if I only succeed with just one or two of them by the time 2020 ends. It is quite a challenge though. Many of them are extremely difficult to find. They are either well camouflaged, really flighty and elusive, nocturnal or are often too far for my camera to really capture a decent shot of them. Seabirds are in particular going to be the worst ones for me.

So that's my challenge for 2020. Quite ambitious, I know. But as I said, I'll be happy if I only end up with ticking off a small handful of them. If you guys want to help me with some of them, let me know. A roosting tawny owl would be one of those I hope you guys can help me with. But if you hear about any of the other species on the list, write a comment below. With a job to juggle with and no licence to drive, this should be fairly interesting if I could see any of them at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment