Thursday 4 June 2020

June 4th Hickling Broad



Wren

The swallowtail season is well and truly underway, but as Strumpshaw is closed due to lockdown procedures, I was fearing that I was going to go swallowtail-less for this year. However, while the RSPB have kept most of their reserves closed off to the public, the NWT (Norfolk Wildlife Trust) have opened some of theirs again but with a few changes. Hickling Broad is one such reserve allowing the public to walk around, though the visitor centre, toilets, hides and a few paths remain closed. To enforce social distancing rules, a one-way route system is set up, though the route does split up in places allowing you some freedom to explore the site. It is a strange experience, but if I was to find a swallowtail this year, this was my best chance and location to do so.
 
Bee Orchid
The weather wasn't exactly on our side as my dad and I arrived at Hickling. Grey clouds threaten to rain and it was a bit chilly and little windy. Not the best conditions for swallowtails. We made one circuit around the reserve, following the arrows and sections blocked off by tape guiding us. There were spells of drizzle, but it was brightening up as we returned to the visitor centre for lunch. We saw bearded tits, marsh harriers, sand martins, swifts, terns, reed buntings, reed, sedge, Cetti's and willow warblers, avocets, greylags with goslings, lapwings, shelducks, many dragonflies and damselflies and a couple of butterflies, but no swallowtail. There were also a few new plant species, but I'm not adding them as I'm out of Norwich.

After lunch, the weather was much improved and the sun was breaking through. It was now warm enough for swallowtails to possibly be on the wing. So, I decided that we do another walk. While starting off the route again, I discovered something that we missed the first time; a bee orchid! I wonder how many people have walked by and not noticed it? It was a great find, but I really want to find one in Norwich. As the sites I know of are now mowed down, I don't really know where else to go. These orchids will pop up just about anywhere, its like trying to look for a needle in a built up, urbanised haystack.

Swallowtail
Mission Swallowtail 2020 was still going on with little luck going my way. All that suddenly changed when we reached a small boardwalk with yellow flag irises dotted around it. Immediately after making my first step onto the wooden path, I spot a swallowtail landing onto an iris. It was a bit flighty when I tried to sneak up to it and was tricky to get a photograph in at first. But then it landed onto the path just a few metres in front of me. Despite it facing the wrong way, I could finally get a few photos. Despite all the odds stack against me with lockdown and the weather, I was pleased that 2020 wasn't going to be the year I miss out on seeing a swallowtail after all. Seeing this one was like seeing all the rainbows done by children stuck on windows. It is bright, cheery and gives me some hope in these dark, uncertain times. Even with lockdown lifting, who knows for certain when life can get back to normality in its entirety.

No comments:

Post a Comment