Tuesday 28 February 2023

Snowdrops & Starlings

 Feb 5th Walsingham Abbey

The snowdrops at Walsingham Abbey were finally out and at their best. As seeing them was part of my displays and spectacles challenge, my parents and I were really looking forward to ticking this floral display off my list.

Snowdrops,
Hellebore & Mistletoe (Feb 5th),
Misty Morning & Reed Bunting (Feb 6th)

Snowdrops are one of the earliest flowers to bloom and though they had been popping up as early as mid-January. However, we decided to wait a little longer for the display to develop into something we expected to be something amazing before setting off to see them. So, when we finally visited on a beautiful sunny Sunday, the wait was completely worth it. The woodland trails around the abbey grounds were just breathtaking! It was like the place was covered in actual snow.


As well as the snowdrops, there were also the yellow flowers of winter aconites, some hellebores, clumps of mistletoe, the odd primrose and even one of the first daffodils of the year poking through.

Feb 6th Strumpshaw Fen

There was a chill in the air, but it was feeling rather spring-like as there was a pleasant warmth from the sun. The paths were actually drying out and I managed to get to Tower Hide without getting too muddy. While at the hide, I counted 130 greylags, 25 shelducks and smaller numbers of gadwall and shoveler.

Back at Reception Hide, there was to be a wildfowl bonanza here too with 60+ greylags, 25+ gadwall, a few mallards, 2-3 mute swans, 2 Canada geese, and the odd shoveler. Marsh harriers were also around (as was a sparrowhawk) and seemed to be sky dancing at times. 

Around the woods, the place was alive with hundreds of siskins and redpolls as well as the sound of drumming great spotted woodpeckers, trilling treecreepers and, for the first time I've seen at Strumpshaw for some time, a nuthatch! Scarlet elfcap fungi were looking vibrant on the woodland floor and snowdrops were now everywhere (though not as spectacular as the display at Walsingham), including in front of Reception Hide.

Feb 13th Strumpshaw Fen

An overcast morning, grey and rather quiet. I had to catch a later train than usual due to my bus having a alarm to go off and had to stop for a while for the engine to cool down. I couldn't wait, so I had to walk some way through the city to get to the station, bought a ticket, got on the platform just in time to see the usual timed train leave. I was so close! 

When I eventually arrived at the reserve, I still had time for a short visit to Fen Hide, seeing a Chinese water deer, 2 swans, a heron, 2 greylags and a marsh harrier. I then managed to squeeze in a quick walk in the woods where siskins continued to make a noise along with treecreepers, nuthatches and woodpeckers. 

The sun tried to come out during my shift at Reception Hide and the broad had a large number of greylags again as well as 2 shelducks, a few coots, and the odd gadwall and mallard. The marsh harriers were at their best and seems to be in full sky dancing mode.

Feb 15th Cley & Norwich

With Valentine's week off from work, Mum and I went out to Cley. It was a really good day for it and there was plenty of birds out on Pat's Pool. This included a whooper swan that sat in the middle of an island full of many lapwing before going on a tour around the pool.

Nuthatch & Scarlet Elfcaps (Feb 6th)
Siskin (Feb 13th), Whooper Swan,
Long-billed Dowitcher & Snow Buntings (Feb 15th)

Also at Pat's Pool were avocets, pintails, wigeon, teal, shelducks, black-tailed godwits and a marsh harrier. On the walk back to the visitor centre, a red kite flew over us and we had a stonechat perching on a bramble branch.

We then moved on to the East Bank. The long-staying long-billed dowitcher was here again and it was showing well. It was the closest I've ever gotten to this American wader and I finally got some decent photos of it. Many others crowded that one section of the bank to enjoy this  small godwit-like bird, though Mum lost interest fairly quickly and didn't know what all the hype was about.

We then made our way to the beach and joined another crowd. This time to see 20-30 snow buntings on the shingle mound. Unlike the dowitcher, Mum was showing a lot more interest this time. Who wouldn't? They are always a charm to watch.

After returning home, we spent some time at my flat before heading out again. While at Cley, we were given a tip-off that a mini murmuration of starlings has been occurring in the city. So this evening, Mum took me to an Asda store car park at Hall Road in Norwich to try and see it for ourselves so I could tick it off of my list.

It took a while until I saw the first 3 starlings arriving at around 5pm. Three became 20, which became 50 and so on until a ball of roughly a few thousand were swirling over us. It wasn't the biggest or the most impressive murmuration I've ever seen, but it was still quite an experience to have them whoosh over my head all the same. As a ball, they mainly went round and round the car park in the sky over and over. Sometimes a few would break off and rejoin, while other large groups would arrive from nowhere to join the main group to bolster the numbers. 


The sight of them circling many times did make me feel a little dizzy. Eventually, at about 5:50pm it was time to roost and they all suddenly poured into two tall larch trees near the supermarket's petrol station. And then it was all over. The trees was just filled with chattering starling noises. It was at this point that I noticed. They got me! Not only me, but also my mum and the car. There was a price to enjoying this marvel it seemed.

Feb 17th Minsmere

On my final day off that week, my parents (who both also had the day off) and I visited Minsmere. We began our walk to Island Mere Hide. From the packed hide, there were 3 snipe feeding in the stubble just by the front, several tufted ducks, a couple of mute swans, a few flying marsh harriers and curlews and a pair of goosanders (a male and a female). I don't see many male goosanders, so I was fairly happy.

Pintail & Starling Murmuration (Feb 15th),
Goosanders (Feb 17th) & Blossom (Feb 20th)

A walk in the woods produced marsh tits and the sounds of siskins and treecreepers. The Bittern Hide wasn't very interesting other than a couple more marsh harriers.

After lunch, we visited North Hide, seeing many, many curlew, wigeon, shovelers, a flock of goldfinches, lapwing and a little egret.

We then checked out the brand new boardwalk that bypasses the beach and takes you to East Hide. The walk seemed to be longer than it actually was as the path felt very open and exposed. It appeared to stretch on and on without much growing beside it to obscure the length of it. There was even a new elevated section that went round the old track that used to lead you up to the hide from the beach.

From the hide itself, there was a lot to see. I don't recall seeing so many pintail in one place in my life! Also seen here were; 3 avocets, a flock of dunlin, the odd turnstone, a pochard, gadwall, shovelers, teal, shelducks, herring gulls, lesser and great black-backed gulls and some distant marsh harriers.

Feb 20th Strumpshaw Fen

A beautiful sunny morning. I did a walk in the woods, to the pumphouse and to the sluice gates before heading back for my shift. I heard more than I saw with drumming woodpeckers, siskins, meadow pipits, a bullfinch, 5 buzzards soaring above my head, scarlet elfcaps, snowdrops and a single primrose that was in flower.

There was some excitement over the weekend it seems, as I read the sightings board for Sunday 19th. It stood out from the rest. Written there was; WHITE-TAILED EAGLE!!! Apparently, a tagged bird from the Isle of Wight reintroduction project had flown by the front of Reception Hide! I looked and looked and looked, but sadly I could not find it anywhere. The best I could muster was an otter, several displaying marsh harriers and buzzards, some fighting coot, around 60-70 greylags, 2 shelducks and a small tortoiseshell butterfly in which I rescued from inside the Reception Hide as it tried to escape but the window was closed.

Feb 27th Strumpshaw Fen

I woke up, boarded the bus and there was no rain. I got off the bus in the city and it was raining. Then it was sunny by the time I got off the train at Brundall. A very strange start to the morning. 

After a short visit to Fen Hide, seeing only a Chinese water deer, I decided to go to Tower Hide. Big mistake! The rain earlier must have dampened the way to the hide as it was very slippery and very muddy in places. It was awful. When I got to the Tower Hide, there wasn't anything too exciting other than 13 teal, 6 mallards, some greylags and a marsh harrier. Nothing worth treading through slippery mud there and back for.

On the way back to Reception Hide, I came across some siskins and heard bullfinches and drumming woodpeckers. During my shift, the broad was full of greylags, gadwall, coot, mallards, 2 shelducks, 2 mute swans and 2 Canada geese, while marsh harriers and buzzards were busy displaying. I watched one male harrier go up and down like a yo-yo. Other than that, it was fairly unexciting to end my final shift of the month.

2 comments:

  1. I always enjoy Sean’s blogs. It keeps me abreast of what’s about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean’s monthly blogs are always informative and interesting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete