Wednesday 7 November 2018

Nov 7th Strumpshaw Fen

Carrion Crow
It was a wet, cold, windy and miserable start to this morning. I spent over an hour inside Fen Hide watching the rain pour over the reserve. Two Chinese water deer, a marsh harrier and a few crows were all I could see as I sat inside the hide equally as miserable as the weather. I got so bored, I ended up listening to music via my headphones.

Chinese Water Deer
Eventually, I gave up. I placed my camera back into my bag to keep it safe and dry and made my way back to the office. As I made my way through the woodland trail, a loud squeak broke the silence and spooked a flock of woodpigeons into the air. A second squeak later and a muntjac deer appeared and moved under some trees where it stood and stared at me for a moment. It was agitated about something and it wasn't only because I was there. Then I noticed a tiny fawn slowly walking up to its mother. It looked like it could only be a few days old as it struggled to keep up. It was such a cute moment that lightened my mood immensely, though I did regret putting my camera away beforehand.

Gadwall
The rain had stopped by the time I was helping out at the Reception Hide and there was even a short burst of sunshine for a few minutes. It was a vast improvement than when I got here earlier this morning. Marsh harriers were quite abundant as were the ducks. The broad was full with gadwall, mallards, shovelers and a few teal and a family of mute swans, but were spooked off the water on a few occasions. One of these occasions happened to be caused by an otter, which made a brief visit swimming from the near left channel to the far left channel at the back of the broad.

Gadwall
Mallards
Shoveler
Mute Swan
Pink-footed Geese
Marsh Harrier
Fieldfare

No comments:

Post a Comment