Thursday 1 August 2019

Aug 1st Holkham Pines, Warham Camp and Two Other Places

I was looking defeat in the face, but some how hope finds away. After two failed attempts at Holkham, I was starting to believe that I was not going to see a creeping ladies-tresses and that it was going to prevent me from completing my challenge. They were proving to be difficult to find, a real needle in a haystack. So I could not believe my luck that, in the last week or so, news was coming to me that people were seeing them and with photos online as proof. And, a day or two after the news was coming through, I was pleased to hear from a couple of you, my dear readers, contacting me about where and how to find them. You guys really encouraged me and made me want to try again. Today, I finally got that chance.

Creeping Ladies-tresses
I was dropped off at Holkham Pines this morning (as Dad didn't want to pay the expensive prices at the car park there) and I made my way to the spot that I was told the orchids were. Thankfully, it was far more easier to find this time round as a rope marked them out. I guess I was far too early on my previous two visits. I had to dodge a few dogs, but they weren't going to stop me seeing my long awaited creeping ladies-tresses encounter!

These were extremely tiny orchids about half the size of my pinkie finger! How on earth did anyone manage to spot them in the first place? The white flowers are even more miniscule and are hairy. It makes this species not only the smallest orchid I've found so far, but also the hairiest. I had to be extra careful in where I placed myself in order to take a photo of them. The area they were fenced off in may have been small, but it still seemed massive to these orchids. I could see at least ten, but there could be more that I've glanced over. I'm just so relieved to have finally tick them off and I have you guys to thank for that. I like to dedicate this orchid to you. Without you, I would have missed it. Thank you!



Chalkhill Blue
With the creeping ladies-tresses done and dusted, I met up with Dad and we drove to Warham Camp.  This place is an old Iron Age fort. All that is left of this fort are two circular, chalk mounds and it is a haven for wildflowers such as wild thyme. In recent years, this place has become very popular for local butterfly enthusiasts as it is now home to the only colony of chalkhill blue butterflies in the county. There's no doubt that they were unofficially released by some keen butterfly breeder, but these beautiful sky blue insects are so popular that I expect that they are now here to stay. I'm actually ok with that as they really add to the enjoyment of the place. Walking along the top of the ancient man-made mounds covered in a variety of colourful wildflowers the whole way round swarming in countless butterflies and other insects, it is an amazing experience, especially in a modern world where most of this is in saddening decline.

After stopping at Cley for a picnic lunch, we started to make our way back home but not before stopping at a couple of places along the way.  First up was a quick stop at Buxton Heath. We were trying to find marsh gentians, a type of rare, bright blue flower. Unfortunately, we didn't had too much time to look for them and I had no idea where they were as I've never really looked for them before. However, I did introduce Dad to the pleasant scent of the marsh fragrant orchid and we marvelled at the magnificent display of heather.

Finally, we stopped at a place somewhere in or near Costessey (not telling you where exactly due to collectors) for my third attempt in looking for an orchid that was apparently suppose to be extinct in Norfolk. However, one green-flowered helleborine has been reported somewhere at this site. The thing is, this orchid is proving even harder to find than the creeping ladies-tresses. It may be several times larger than the tresses, but that doesn't help much. This orchid resembles an inconspicuous weed. Its flowers are green and don't open all the way as it tends to self pollinate itself (a fully bloomed green-flowered helleborine is a rare sight indeed). So it is no wonder that I failed to find it for the third time running. I wonder if you guys no where it is?

If anyone has any idea where it is, let me know. My email is seanlocke86@outlook.com if you want to help me in anyway. If I can find this one, then I have four more orchids left to find (though it is technically two as the other two are considered extinct). All that's left to tick off are; broad-leaved helleborine (no help required on this one), autumn ladies-tresses (some assistance maybe needed here), lizard orchid (haven't been seen in Norfolk since 2016) and bog orchid (hasn't been seen in Norfolk for more than 15 years!).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment