Wednesday 7 August 2019

Aug 7th Strumpshaw Fen

Chinese Water Deer
It was a slightly blustery morning at Strumpshaw, but at least it wasn't strong enough to force the wildlife into hiding. Red admirals, painted ladies, small red-eyed damselflies and various other butterfly and dragonfly species were showing well despite the wind. I also saw plenty of birds today, including a bullfinch and a singing willow warbler by Fen Hide, ruffs and a young humbug-plumaged great crested grebe from Tower Hide and marsh harriers and a bearded tit from Reception Hide. While walking along the Sandy Wall path, I encountered a Chinese water deer that was too busy feeding to notice me, that is until it eventually looked up and saw me with my camera before it bolted for it into the dense cover of reeds. And that was about as exciting as it got. I may have seen plenty of other common things as well, but for some reason, it wasn't that memorable to me. There's always next week, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment