Wednesday 18 March 2020

March 18th Strumpshaw Fen

It has been a strange day. The welcoming atmosphere at Strumpshaw was not present this morning. And the reason for that is pretty obvious. Covid-19. Everyone seems to be in a panic about it and to prevent it from spreading, a lot of places from pubs to sporting venues are closed to the public. Many nature reserves across the UK have also closed their visitor centres, restaurants and hides. Here, at Strumpshaw, they were still considering to join them or not. I was told not to enter the office and to keep a 2 metre distance from everyone. The Reception Hide was open, though, but only for an hour until the decision was finally made. With most the volunteers being in their 60's and 70's, it was for their protection as they were the most at risk of the virus.

So with the Reception Hide on lockdown, I was left with not much to do.  The Reception Hide may be out of bounds, but the actual reserve, however, is still going to remain open for walks. I'm not sure if the Fen and Tower hides will also close at some point, but if you want a walk around the reserve, feel free.

I felt lost and a bit sad that I couldn't do my shift today. So, after the Reception Hide was being closed, I decided to go for a walk and set my mind on other things. The weather matched the mood, dull and grey. It was eerily quiet with only natural sounds to be heard. Signs of spring was starting to make a firm grip at the reserve with chiffchaffs singing, marsh harriers sky dancing, catkins and blossom on trees and new leaves sprouting. Life was carrying on, virus or no virus.

Coltsfoot
While I was walking along Sandy Wall, a flower caught my eye. Coltsfoot was in bloom. They maybe small, but their bright yellow flowers resonate to me like miniature suns with thin petals radiate like rays of sunlight full of warmth and colour. This plant was once used as a traditional remedy for coughs, though I doubt it would work on Covid-19. At that moment, thoughts of the plant's image and its medical properties gave me a sense of hope. A hope that one day we will overcome this virus and return to more cheerful, sunny days again without the sense of fear and panic. If the poppy is the symbol remembrance, then surely the coltsfoot could be used as a symbol of hope against this pandemic? At least, that's what I believe.






Barn Owl
After admiring the coltsfoot, my eyes was then diverted to another thing of beauty. A barn owl! It was flying over the meadow before stopping to perch on a post. I have no idea when I will return to Strumpshaw, but at least seeing this owl will send me off with a smile and some sense of happiness. Let's hope the world will get back to normal soon and that I can visit the places we love once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment