Thursday 5 March 2020

March 1st Titchwell & March 4th Strumpshaw Fen

March 1st  Titchwell

I was back at Titchwell on Sunday in the hopes of seeing that elusive roosting woodcock that always never shows itself whenever I visit. Guess what? It wasn't there again! In fact, it hasn't been seen in the last few days prior to my latest visit. Am I cursed when it comes to woodcocks? My mission to photograph one during the day may have to wait until next winter at this point.

Muntjac Deer
I was more successful seeing a stoat than woodcocks, as my parents and I encountered one slinking around the birdfeeder area and was following it moving within the vegetation for several minutes. We also saw today; muntjac deer, marsh harriers, grey plovers, curlews, redshanks, bar-tailed godwits, brent geese, greylags, Canada geese, sanderlings, turnstone, a Mediterranean gull, teal, shovelers, mallard, shelduck, coot, cormorant, avocets and oystercatchers, as well as a red kite on the drive to the reserve.






March 4th Strumpshaw Fen

It was a beautiful morning at Strumpshaw today. It wasn't the most excitingly productive one though, as it was fairly quiet on the wildlife front. Though I did see a kingfisher along the river, displaying marsh harriers and buzzards, and even bumblebees on the wing, as well as the usual wildfowl on the broad. However, my mind was elsewhere today.

The situation was kind of reminiscent of what happened prior to England's semi-final world cup match a couple of summers ago. This time, it involves my team, Norwich City. Today, Norwich were playing Tottenham away in the FA Cup 5th round with a slim chance to make it into the quarter finals for the first time since 1992! In fact, it has been about 8 years since we made it to this round. It has not been a great season so far and we were unlikely to win the match tonight, but that didn't stop my head in the clouds, dreaming of Wembley glory this morning.

I just couldn't wait to get home. When returning to Norwich, the station was trickling with fans adorning yellow and green as they made their way for the next train for London. I was getting a little excited at that point. When the fated match finally arrived to my TV screen, Dad and I were glued to it. Despite going 1-0 down, we getting more and more into our team's performance. We then went into ecstasy when we equalised and took it all the way to penalties! Chewing our finger nails, it was a nervy watch, but we soon were pinching ourselves when we eventually won the shootout!! Quarter finals here we come!!! Just Manchester United or Derby in our way now for this current Norwich team to join the ranks of the 1959 and 1992 teams that both made it to the semis, the furthest we've ever reached in our history!

No comments:

Post a Comment