Thursday 27 December 2018

Dec 27th Horsey Gap

Ava with her new binoculars
I hope everyone has had a great Christmas? I sure have. I have been spending it with my family. Today, we've decided to make a family outing to Horsey Gap to show little Ava the seals. My poor 2-year old niece wasn't exactly feeling that well for the outing, but we took her anyway. Perhaps some fresh air will do her some good? At least it gave her a chance to use the pair of binoculars I got for her for Christmas.

The crowds of families on the beach

Grey Seal pup on the dune where the crowds were
It was pretty busy at Horsey as expected. Many families have had the same idea and the dunes were crowded with people. When we got our first look of the beach, it seemed as if there were more people on these dunes than there were seals lounging on the sand. This is because the pups are mostly now fully developed enough to be left alone. A lot of the adults have now left to feed out at sea. There has been well over 2000 pups born this year and many of them are now plump bundles of blubber and dark fur with big rounded eyes. There were still plenty of pups to satisfy everyone's cute-factor needs. A couple of pups found themselves on the same footpath up on the dunes where their admirers were. It provided even closer views of these adorable baby animals than expected. It was a fine way to end another year of wildlife watching for me. I wonder what 2019 will hold in store?
Grey Seal with pup

No comments:

Post a Comment