Sunday 6 January 2019

My Norfolk Orchid Challenge 2019 (Help Needed!)

Bee Orchid
This year, I want to set myself a wildlife spotting challenge. However, this challenge is going to be very tough for me. Throughout this year's summer months, I want to find every orchid species in Norfolk. The problem is that orchids can be notoriously difficult to locate and identify. Some of my targets are only found in a single location and its not certain that they will be there or not. They can appear in the same spot one year and not the next. Some species also look very similar to each other and can even hybridise creating a confusing combination to puzzle me further. On top of this, plants are my weakest subjects, I'm not an expert. I kind of throwing myself into the deep end here.













Southern Marsh Orchid
If this is not enough, I'm also currently looking for a job. And if I find one, this orchid challenge might not happen. But if I do manage to squeeze it in, I was wondering if anyone would like to team up or help me out in some way. I need someone who has the information or skills to find certain species. If you are interested and to keep certain species safe from illegal orchid hunters, you can email me at seanlocke86@outlook.com. Below a list of the orchids that can be found in Norfolk, though a few a possibly extinct in this county, and the challenges I need to help with for each one.











  • Early Purple (late April - May)  This one should be easy enough to find as long as I know where to look.
  • Green-wringed (May)   I have a location, but not sure if they are still around and where to look.
  • Bird's-nest (May-June)  This is a tricky one as I know that Holt Country Park is the place to go, but it will be extremely hard to locate. I need someone to help me find one.
  • Common Twayblade (June) No problem with finding this one as I can find them at Strumpshaw.
  • Man (June) This is another really tricky one as I have a very short window to find one and there's only one place it grows in Norfolk and the location is kept hush hush.
  • Early Marsh (June) I have a location, but Marsh orchid species can be rather difficult to separate though this species might be the least confusing.
  • Pugsley's Marsh (June) I believe I have a location, but its another tricky one to ID.
  • Greater Butterfly (June) Foxley Wood is the place to go see these beauties, but if I can find them is another matter.
  • Southern Marsh (June) Easy to find at Strumpshaw.
  • Bee (June) Another one I should find at Strumpshaw.
  • Heath Spotted (June - July) Buxton Heath is the place to go for this one and should be simple enough to find.
  • Pyramidal (June - July) There's a number of places to go, but its a question of which one I want to visit.
  • Fen (June) This is one I need permission for as it is so rare and protected.
  • Lesser Butterfly (June-July) There's only one location and I don't know where it is or where they are, if they are still there in the first place.
  • Common Spotted (June-July) Good ol' Strumpshaw can help me with this one.
  • Creeping Lady's-tresses (July) Only one location and I'm not sure where they are or if they still exist.
  • Marsh Helleborine (July) Should be easy enough for me to find.
  • Marsh Fragrant (July) Apparently Buxton Heath is the place to go. I just hope I can find them ok.
  • Lizard Orchid, Bog Orchid and Green-flowered Helleborine (July - Aug) All uncertain to flower as they are possibly all extinct in Norfolk, but you never know.
  • Broad-leaved Helleborine (July - Aug) Not sure where they are, but I have one location.
  • Autumn Lady's-tresses (Aug) Only one location and its quite far. Need someone willing to drive me there. If they are still there of course.
So there you have it. If you want to help me by supplying details and directions of locations or want to tag along, let me know via email. However, this will depends on my job if I find one, so it might be hard to squeeze it in, but I will try my best. Fingers crossed that I can achieve finding both a job and these orchids in one year. It will certainly be an interesting 2019.

2 comments:

  1. If you e-mail me Sean, I can tell you where to find Greater & Lesser Butterflies, Green-winged and Marsh Helleborine...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can email me at seanlocke86@outlook.com it would be great thanks.

      Delete